Significant Investor stream
This is a temporary visa granted for a period of 4 years and is for people who want to make a complying investment of at least $5 million in Government bonds or eligible managed funds. Holding this visa is a prerequisite to applying for the Investor Stream subclass 888, which is a permanent visa.
What criteria do I have to meet?
The complying investment of at least $5 million, can be made in any proportion, but must be made for at least four years, in any of the following options:
- Commonwealth, state or territory government bonds
- Eligible managed funds - that are limited to investing in any or all of the following Australian assets:
- infrastructure projects in Australia
- cash held by Australian deposit-taking institutions
- bonds issued by the Commonwealth Government or a State or Territory government
- bonds, equity, hybrids or other corporate debt in companies and trusts listed or expected to be listed within 12 months on any Australian stock exchange
- bonds or term deposits issued by Australian financial institutions
- real property in Australia
- Australian agribusiness
- annuities issued by an Australian registered life company in accordance with section 9 or 12A of the Life Insurance Act 1995
- loans secured by mortgages over the investments listed above
- derivatives used for portfolio management and non-speculative purposes which constitute no more than 20 per cent of the total value of the managed fund
- other managed funds that invest in the investments listed above
- direct investment into private Australian companies - in which you have an ownership interest. The company needs to operate a qualifying business if you intend to apply for and meet the criteria for a Business Innovation and Investment (Permanent) visa (subclass 888) in the Significant Investor stream.
Applicants also need to have a genuine commitment to reside in the State that provided nomination, to continue investment activity after the investment matures, to live in Australia for at least 160 cumulative days while holding the provisional visa.