Graduate Work visas
If you've successfully completed your studies and want to remain in Australia to work, then we may be able to assist you with securing a Graduate work visa.
Whether it's the Graduate or the Post Study work stream, we can help kick start your career in Australia by getting you the visa you need to realize your potential. If your ultimate migration goal is to become an Australian permanent resident, then the graduate work visa can provide you with the opportunity to combine your Australian qualification with work experience and so increase your points tally for the General Skilled Migration program.
Now that you're studies are over, let us get you the result you deserve by securing your visa. Call or email our Graduate visa team today to discuss your circumstances and let us make sure you make the grade!
Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485)
This visa is for international students who have recently graduated from an Australian educational institute and does not require the support of an employer, relative or State sponsor. Once granted, the visa has no work or study restrictions.
The visa has two streams:
- Graduate Work stream: This is open to graduates with an eligible qualification, including those from the Vocational and Education Sector, who graduate with a qualification that aligns with an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List. This visa is granted for 18 months
- Post Study Work stream: This is open to graduates with a Higher education degree regardless of the discipline and can be granted for up to 4 years
What criteria do I have to meet?
This visa has both common and stream specific criteria. The common criteria include that visa applicants must:
- be younger than 50
- hold an eligible visa
- have at least competent English (or be exempt)
- meet the two year Australian study requirement in the last 6 months
- have adequate health insurance
Graduate Work Stream
Applicants for this stream must:
- nominate an occupation on Schedule 1 of the Skilled Occupation List
- include evidence in the visa application that a skills assessment application for the nominated skilled occupation has been submitted to a relevant assessing authority
- the visa applicants skills have been assessed by a relevant assessing authority as suitable for the nominated skilled occupation ('suitable skills assessment') at the time of decision
- if the skills were assessed on the basis of a qualification obtained in Australia, the qualification must have been obtained as a result of studying a CRICOS registered course
- the visa applicant has met the two-year Australian study requirement in the past six months
- each degree, diploma or trade qualification used to meet the Australian study requirement is closely related to the nominated skilled occupation.
Post Study Work Stream
Visa applicants for this stream are not required to nominate an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List or obtain a skills assessment.
Requirements for this stream include:
- you applied for, and were granted, your first student visa to Australia on or after 5 November 2011
- you hold an eligible qualification
- your qualification was conferred or awarded by an Australian university or non-university education provider that is registered on the Commonwealth Register of Courses and Institutions for Overseas Students (CRICOS) and that provider offers courses at degree level and above
- your study for the qualification(s) satisfied the Australian study requirement in the past six months.